Sunday, June 14, 2009

Chinese Dumplings




The Daring Cooks Challenge this month was to make Chinese dumplings. Before going gluten free I use to love wontons, crab ragoons, and egg rolls. I have toyed with idea of making my own wrappers but never gotten around to doing it, so I was very excited but nervous. I used equal parts white rice flour and tapioca starch.
I pressed the dough out into small rounds similar to how I press tortillas out but smaller. My filling was a mixture mushrooms, yellow peppers, onions, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. I steamed the dumplings and served with a dipping sauce of soy sauce and lemon juice.
They turned out pretty good but the skins needed to be thinner. I will definitley work on perfecting these before I post a recipe but I had fun and enjoyed my first challenge.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on successful GF dumplings! My GF ones needed to be thinner too, and I used a similar dough recipe. A tortilla pressing idea is really creative for making these!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your GF dumplings! You gluten-free cooks are so creative and resourceful when it comes to cooking.

Lauren said...

Yum =D. Your dumplings look awesome, great job on this challenge!!

Anonymous said...

Great looking dumplings!

Jen Yu said...

Nice job on the challenge and extra points for anyone making GF versions. It is not easy to work with and you did a lovely job of it. Good on ya!

Audax said...

Great work on your GF dumplings these are so hard to make and your cooked dumplings are wonderous. Fab work on this challenge. Bravo

Laura said...

Great job! I agree that it is harder to get gf dumplings as thin as they should be. Yours look great though. :)

Chris said...

Tortilla press is a great idea! I used the bottom of a drinking glass (and rolled from there). Congrats on completing your first challenge!

Olga said...

I cheated and used a pasta machine to roll out the dough: so much simpler!

Mary Bergfeld said...

You did a wonderful job of pleating. They look really great. Kudos.

ice tea: sugar high said...

Wonderful job on those dumplings. they look fabulous