Sunday, May 4, 2008

mad for macaroons in may


I recently stumbled across an awesome web event hosted by Couture Cupcakes called Mad for Macaroons in May. I was so excited because macaroons are so easily gluten free and I am always searching for new treats to serve my family. After searching for a recipe that was easy and that had ingredients available to me I realized i would have to create my own. With a few batches of flat overly sweet sticky messes under my belt I stumbled across a winner.

These cookies turned out dense and chewy yet light and fluffy. I chose to go a different route from the traditional French macaroon though. Instead of using my ganache to make sandwich cookies I paired them with fresh strawberries from the outdoor market and drizzle the ganache over them. From the first bite I knew that these were sure to be a new family favorite and I couldn't wait for my son to get home. Well all I can say is he was sneaky off with cookies before I even got a chance to tell them they were there. The cookies were proclaimed another success, now we just have to wait until daddy gets home in a few months to know for sure.

Ingredients for Almond Macaroons
2 egg white
½ tsp cream of tartar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup almond meal
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Beat the egg whites and then add cream of tartar.
3. Beat egg whites until stiff.
4. Gradually beat in the sugar.
5. Add the almond meal and fold gently
6. Spoon on to lined baking sheet.
7. Bake fifteen to twenty minutes until they turn a nice golden color
8. Remove parchment paper from baking sheet immediately to cool on counter top.
9. The macaroons will then easily peel off.
10. Before baking, the macaroons may be sprinkled with almonds which have been blanched and shredded or chopped

No comments: