Sunday, May 18, 2008

Raspberry Bread Pudding

I was feeling a bit nostalgic this week so with the food joust lingering to be done and no dessert for the week planned I decided on a raspberry almond bread pudding. The nostalgic part came from the announcement that my younger brother would be joining the army. This took me back to my brief enlistment a few years back where I remember living on bread pudding. I looked forward to this brief edible dessert even though I had never been a big fan of it. I do not however recomend joining the army to eat bread pudding as almost anything tastes good when you are hungery and tired.


Honey Almond Bread
Ingredients
1 cup white rice flour, 1 cup brown rice flour, 1/2 cup potatoe starch, 1/2 cup tapioca starch (or 3 cups of your favorite flour blend)
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbs xanthan gum
1 TBS salt
2 pkgs regular or quick-acting active dry yeast
2 1/4 cup very warm water (120 to 130 degrees)
2 cups almond meal

Instructions
Mix flours, honey, oil, salt, and yeast in large bowl. Add warm water. Beat on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Stir in almond meal, 1 cup at a time, to make dough easy to handle.
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead about 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in bowl sprayed with non-stick cooking spray; spray the top of dough with non-stick cooking spray. Cover and let rise in warm place 40 to 60 minutes or until double. (Dough is ready when indentation remains when touched.)
Spray 2 loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. Punch down dough; divide in half and place in loaf pans. Let rise 35 to 50 minutes or until double.
Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Place loaves on lowest oven rack. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until loaves are deep golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans; cool on wire rack.

Allow bread and then chop about 1 1/2 loaves into cubes and let sit for couple hours or overnight.(since this is a dense gf bread it does not need to stale as long as regular bread)

Pudding
2 cups frozen or fresh raspverries
6 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups scalded milk
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly butter one 2 quart baking dish. Combine bread cubes and raspberries; mix well and place in baking dish. Beat together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Add milk, mix well and pour over bread cubes. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and set

Raspberry Sauce
1 pkg. frozen raspberries
2 Tbs. armareto (optional)
4 Tbs. lime juice

Combine in sauce pan and heat until just warm and raspberries are defrosted.

6 comments:

Elle said...

I could totally dive into a big serving of that right now! It looks amazing and comforting!

Kimi said...

This looks so yummy. Nice entry for the joust!

LisaRene said...

Excellent job! You deserve extra points for making the bread from scratch only to turn it into a "pudding". What a lot of work though It certainly was worth it, just lovely!

Carrie said...

that looks SO yummy!! Boy you are posting up a storm!! I'm so behind!

Thistlemoon said...

I adore bread pudding, so I totally support this entry! :)

best of luck in the Joust!

Leah J. Utas said...

Hello Terri,

I made your egg pie last night and it was a huge hit. Thanks for the recipe. I'm not a true celiac, but I have a gluten intolerance and am always looking for ways to avoid gluten.
I came over from Aprovechar and I've very glad of it.
I just read your chocolate polenta cake recipe and feel adventurous enough to try it sometime. It sounds yummy.