Saturday, March 8, 2008

barbaque ribs

So for dinner i made barbaque ribs. baked potatoes. and green beans. Of course i am a southren girl with a taste for carolina sauce which i cant find here and traditional sauce is way to sweet and thick for me. This means time to make my own. Yeah! so here goes



my carolina style rib saue



2 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes

1 cup brown sugar

1 1/2 cup red wine vinegar

1 cup sweet white wine

1 Tbs cumin

1 Tbs curry powder

1 Tbs paprika

1 tbs Mrs Dash table blend

1 Tbs tarragon

1 Tbs fresh crushed garlic

1 box pectin



mix everything but the pectin together and simmer for 20 minutes. strain out solids and add pectin. bring sauce up to a boil for 5 min. at this point you can can the sauce or let it cool and freeze extra sauce.

Ok so now you are think canning I thought you were trying to keep things cool and lets face it 30 somethings dont can, grandmas do right.

wrong, look at it this way would you rather say to your friend "Hey at your barbaque this weekend I thought maybe I could bring my special barbaque sauce for everyone to try." They dont have to know where you got the recipe

or

"I am a celiac and have to avoid gluten which is derived from wheat, barley, and rye, so I can not eat certain brands of barbaque sauces which one will you be using at your party"

Plus your friends will be impressed because they will not know how easy canning is. All you have to do is throw the jars in the dishwasher and the lids in a pot of water heating up on the stove. When the sauce is done pour in warm jars put the lid on and set on counter top for 5 min upside down. Turn the jars over and wait for the little buttons to pop down.

1 comment: