Sunday, May 20, 2012

Tamara's Coconut & Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies

This truly tasty recipe belongs to my good friend Tamara. While I don not believe she is gluten free she does have many bizarrio allergies and is constantly playing with her food. One of the reasons I think we get along so well. So here is her recipe for coconut almond flour chocolate chip cookies and a cute pic of one of her boys helping make them (as apposed to just helping eat them like my ds)

For this recipe you need two sticks of butter softened to room temperature, so plan ahead!  I left mine out last night so I could make these cookies first thing this morning.  Preheat oven to 375 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (I love parchment paper).

Dry Ingredients

  1. 2 cups almond flour
  2. 1 cup coconut flour
  3. 1 tsp baking powder
  4. 1 tsp baking soda
  5. 1/3 cup ground flaxseed meal
Mix these five ingredients together in a bowl until well blended.  I use Bob's Red Mill coconut and almond flours.  I haven't tried making almond flour from scratch because I don't have a food processor, but I hear it's really simple.

Wet Ingredients

  1. 2 eggs
  2. 1/2 cup maple syrup
  3. 1/3 cup almond butter
  4. 2 sticks of butter (softened)
Beat the heck out of these four ingredients!  Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.  This is one of those recipes that's great to make with kids, it's easy for them to comprehend the whole dry/wet thing....  Mix well and then add:

Yummy Ingredient
  1. Chocolate chips- 1/2 cup or as much as your kids talk you into using (I always hear "Mom that doesn't look like enough chocolate chips... these are supposed to be CHOCOLATE CHIP cookies.")
Stir in the chips!  I was excited to be able to use newly certified peanut-free Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips today.  :0)   Enjoy Life chocolate chips are another good option- they are also soy-free, dairy-free and gluten-free. For my dairy-free friends, feel free to substitute coconut oil, olive oil or almond oil for the butter. 

Let the kids spoon out the cookie dough in balls and put them on the parchment paper, stressing the need for about 2 inches of space between cookie dough balls and the fact that the last time they made a cookie as big as their head it didn't turn out as well as they'd hoped.  Squash the balls FLAT but not too thin.

Bake for about 12-15 minutes, shamelessly using your kids to "keep an eye on things."  Remove cookies from oven and let them stay on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.  Remind kids that the last time they grabbed the cooling cookies off the rack they burnt their tongues.  Pour glasses of cold milk in preparation for this to happen anyway.

This should in theory make about 2 dozen cookies, depending on how big you make them.  Nate decided to make small(ish) ones this morning, so far we have 3 dozen and are still baking.

Have a happy day!

1 comment:

Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com said...

Thank you for all of your great recipes and ideas. We are very new to gluten-free at my house.
I am starting a weekly Gluten-Free Share Page on OneCreativeMommy.com. It's brand new, but I hope it will become a great resource as it grows. I would love it if you added my party to your list of places to link up and shared some of your great ideas each week. I hope to see you there.

Thanks!